B- End up on streets

When I was 9 years old and my sister was 14 I went to public school, while she went to private school. Obviously the private school was much more difficult and challenging academically so my sister's grades could be high C's or better. One day I brought my report card home and I had an 81-85 in one subject to which I was scolded for. I remember commenting to my mother when she started yelling at me for the B-. I told her "Sam gets C's and you don't yell at her." My mother replied, "Sam is going to end up on the streets." This is how a mother perceived her only daughter. I don't understand why my mom would get so mad. I wish she would have taken the approach of "oh, you're struggling, how can I help?" The thing is ever since I was 5 years old in kindergarten I've tried as hard as possible to succeed and I struggled, so it hurt getting yelled at and grounded when I tried my best every single day. I was known as the smartest kid in the class every year but my mother made me feel like the most stupid one there. I was never congratulated or rewarded for my grades even one report card in high school my lowest grade was a 98. I could have competed for valedictorian, but I got a C in art class. We were given assignments that were impossible to finish, everybody failed art, while band and choir are given automatic 100's every grading period. Compound that by 4 years and it's hard to compete. Anyways I didn't think that a mother complete lack of support and the words she spoke was that unusual but whenever I repeated what she said to my friends they reacted in a way that told me no that isn't common.