Evan Smith

Evan Smith

Now this is going to be a long list of why Evan Smith was literally one of the most disgusting people I have ever met and had to live with. He only showered once a week, didn't use or even buy deodorant, would use the toilet and not flush, never brushed his teeth, and sat in his room yelling at people over a mic in some video game while chain-smoking cigarettes. This was when he was 30 years old with a high school education, no college degree and still living with his mom. I don't want to be mean to him because by now I feel somewhat sorry for him. Literally he was in the same place at 30 that he had been at 20. He spent 10 years in his bedroom playing videogames, only holding a job every so often, nothing stuck probably because his co-workers hated him.

When I put in an application to the place Evan worked at, a sandwich shop, I listed him and my friend Jordan as references. Jordan was a really cool guy, but I'll get to that in a minute. A day or so after I put in the application the manager called and asked if I was friends with Jordan, not Evan, and I was like yeah. I was looking for an evening job but he was already stacked so it was worth a shot to get a real job, but didn't go through. At that time, I was in the business school at AST studying business administration and management and so I listed it on my application. One of the supervisors saw my application and threw it away because he thought I would take his job, or at least that's what Evan said.

Anyways after my parents passed away I lived with Evan and his mom on and off over a couple years because without them I would have been homeless. I bounced back and forth between the Simpleton's and the Smiths whenever I wasn't in OSH or some other mental institute. I had no money saved, a broken down car so no transportation since Damien took the Jeep from Sherry and couldn't find a job within walking distance.

Sherry was an angel she really cared about people, but she let her son get away with whatever he wanted and she never told him to get a job and grow up. Thing is now I don't need them to provide a home so I have removed Evan completely from my life. At the time if I were to hit him or insult him when I lived with the Smiths, he would cry to his mom and she wouldn't let me live there. So as in the scene in Superman where the beer is dumped on his head, I just took the callous words he would say. It all equivocates in the end though.

Thing is Evan and I were pretty good friends when he was in his early twenties and working. I lived at Heartland and worked at Central Pharmacy right down the road from him so I would often go hang out with him after I got off work or on days when I didn't have class or work. He was generous with his cannabis and we had fun playing super smash bros then watching jeopardy. Slowly though as the years passed he became more and more non-functional and didn't understand how to treat people. Maybe facing his own inadequacies and running out of time no longer considered a youth made him so mean.

One thing that was really strange was that his grandparents also lived in Bennington Arkansas. The statistical possibility of this happening I imagine is pretty rare, but it makes sense that Evan acted like a local of Bennington. Anyways, so a couple years after I moved from Ohio to Arkansas they made the drive to visit their family and told me they were bringing my videogames that I had to leave behind in Oakridge. I had to take a bus to move and had to fit my entire life in a suitcase, a tennis bag, and a carry on.

At this point medical marijuana was legal, but I couldn't get a card being on probation. I didn't want to even ask if it was ok to avoid drug tests and the consequences. He wanted to see if I could get him bud to take back to Ohio and the only reason why I offered to help was that he offered me bud every other night when I worked at Central Pharmacy. So I told him I couldn't but I could low-key make it happen. I spent maybe $500 or less, not that much at the time, he said he had kidney stones and that it was good timing. That was the last and only debt I considered in the level of our friendship that when he was nice he shared, so I felt obligated to pay him back.

After I did so I stopped talking to him completely, I did what I needed to do to make us square and given how he treated me the past few years I lived with him I refuse to communicate with him in any manner.