Chapter fifty

I hear a crash from upstairs. A window has been shattered. My heart begins to pound as I push my legs up the mighty staircase. 

This is it. 

Groans echo the hallways as I pass by fallen guards. Jax has somehow managed to make his way through the estate, likely looking for me. 

Does he know that Zane is still alive. 

I push myself further, silently looking for a bow of some sort to shoot my single arrow. Another crash is heard from another floor up. 

"Heidi!" A bellowing voice rumbles the walls, causing the hair on my back to elevate. 

A shiver runs down my spine. He is looking for me. I creep up the staircase, trying my hardest not to make a single creak in the wood. 

Another bang, this time against a wall. I look to the top of the staircase just in time to see a body come tumbling towards me. I gasp, dodging out of the way. A guard member rolls like a bowling ball down the stairs. 

My heart thumps louder as I stare at the man. He is clearly unconscious. I look back to the top of the stairs just in time to see Zane pass by. He did not see me. 

More movement is heard, causing me to pick up the pace. 

Thunder bubbles outside as the clouds sound to have finally broken free, letting the pouring rain begin. Lightning strikes relentlessly, lighting up the dark house for a few seconds. 

I reach the top of the staircase and turn immediately to my left. I enter the first doorway just in time to see Zane get thrown through a window. 

I gasp out loud as his body tumbles onto the balcony. He hits the concrete surface with a hard thud, his eyes closing for a few seconds. Another strike of lightning and I see the horrors on his face. Zane's nose pours out blood. 

Jax climbs through the broken window, not noticing me as he stalks towards Zane. 

"You really thought you could defeat me?" He challenges, a deep laughter escaping his chest. 

Zane props himself up on his elbows, his cold stare held on his brother. 

Now is my chance. 

I propel my feet as fast as I can, jumping over the shards of glass through the window. I tumble to the ground and do an uncomfortable roll but somehow end up back on my feet. I take no hesitation in attacking. Jax was all too prepared, though, catching me in the air by the throat. 

All of the air leaves my lungs as I dangle in the air. I make eye contact with a shocked Zane. He watches with horror as Jax turns his wicked face to me. 

"You did not do as you were told, mutt." Jax seethes. Rain trails down his face, spitting at me with every word. I wrap my hands around his large finger, choking for air. "Aiden will surely suffer for what you have done."

That is when Zane is to his feet. He delivers a mean upper hook to Jax's jaw. This catches him off-guard, causing him to release me. I crash to the ground below me, my knees hitting the concrete with full force. 

Pain shoots up my body, but I am too desperate to catch my breath. 

"Do not lay a finger on her." I hear Zane growl, delivering another punch to Jax. 

I cough viciously, looking down for my arrow. It is no longer in my hand. I look across the balcony and find it laying in a giant puddle from the downpour. The feathers on the tail are now all matted together. 

As soon as I move an inch towards the arrow, Zane is thrown past me. 

I stare at his wilted body in shock, watching him plummet into the railing of the balcony. "Zane!" I screech out.