~Chapter 1: Vamrithian~

One year later...

The clicking sound of heels echoed behind as Vanessa followed the butler across the calacatta marble room to a set of large French doors.

Just beyond them, the architecture opened to a breathtaking veranda that continued the elegant white appearance of the interior.

The garden it overlooked was even more exquisite.

Her attention was drawn to a glass table in front of her and more importantly, the gentleman sitting beside it.

His back was turned toward her and she took a moment to take in his frame.

She could tell even from a sitting position that he was tall and broad shouldered. His stone blue suit tailored perfectly along his lines.

The closer she approached the more intrigued she became.

She was taken aback by the pale figure who looked as though he had never been kissed by the sun a day in his life.

His wavy, snow white hair contrasted against an attractive youth. His features were sharp and etched with his Nordic lineage.

He turned to face her directly where she was halted by the most piercing cerulean eyes she had ever seen.

"Miss Belmont..." the man articulated with a baritone accent. She couldn't help but feel her stomach abruptly flutter from the appealing voice.

He held a glass of scotch in his firm grasp and a jovial grin crossed his smile. "You know, some might say it's too early for day drinking. But I never can tell what time it is. Thus, those people are idiots."
He accentuated his point by taking a sip of scotch before cautiously placing the glass on the table.

"Do take a seat Miss Belmont." He motioned. "Would you like something to drink? Tea is the official poison in this country besides beer. Although, as you can see, I prefer the devil's water, if you care for a glass."

"I'm fine for now, thank you." She said, taking a seat in front of him.

"It's a pleasure finally meeting you, Mr. Holmström." She spoke in a smooth tone, piquing his interest.

"The pleasure is mine... though please, call me Alaric." He grinned. "Do you mind if I call you Vanessa?"

"Not at all."

"Well then... Vanessa, I take it your travel here from 'The States' was satisfactory? I do hope Maurice didn't bore you to death with his attempt at airplane banter. Not everyone likes grueling stories of travel, culture, and foreign languages."

She laughed heartily at his sarcasm, which played on the irony of her visit.

"Well, to answer your question, I've never flown first class before, so I'd say the flight was excellent. As for Maurice, he was quite the conversationalist. I especially liked his stories of when he first came here to England."

"At least someone appreciates good conversation." Maurice interjected, leaning against the doorway.

"Ohh yes... it's great conversation if you haven't already heard the same bloody stories at least a hundred times." Alaric snided. "Is your interruption warranted, Maurice, or are you just here to be a pain in the ass like an old dog?"

"Oh throw me a bone, Aly. This old dog deserves to be a pain in the ass once in a while."

Alaric huffed in fake irritation.

"I was actually here to inform Miss Belmont that all of her luggage has been placed upstairs in her room." Maurice then directed his speech to Vanessa. "When you're done here with this piece of work, Miss, I'll be happy to show you around the estate." He finished his offer smiling and giving her a wink.