It's a game

A separate world existed within the late night streets of Theolos. It was one that thrived in the darkest parts of the Empire and blinded its spectators with the untamed nature of incivility.

Lights and clamor from rowdy taverns, dirty words and lecherous moans echoing from brothels, bodies of drunken men slamming into her shoulder as they walked past with lewd words — Jovine writhed in discomfort as she closely followed behind Elias.

Disguised as a lowly boy, she fidgeted in the itchy clothes he had loaned her. She had always been slightly taller than her brother, who unusually stopped growing at the age of 13, but his muscled form had filled out enough to drown her slight frame. Her hair was tucked into an oversized, loopy hat and a wide tunic was stuffed into his scratchy, tweed jacket.

Every single aspect of their venture was tainted in unpleasant infliction.

The force of her ignorance was clearer than it had ever been. As an Empress, her understanding of the Empire should have been unclouded, yet the tarnished state of these streets were distressing. Broken glass and debris littered the roads. Violent fights raged in every corner. Frail bodies hungered in dark alleyways. Lust and intoxicated danger permeated the air.

Just how far had she neglected her own Empire?

Jovine swept her eyes to Elias, expecting to find him just as concerned, but his demeanor looked almost...free. In the darkness of the chapel and throughout their journey down a hidden path she was still baffled to know existed, he was distant and obscure. Yet, on the wild streets of Theolos, he seemed pleased.

Instead of shrouding his scar with the strands of his hair, he boasted it proudly, leaving his golden locks tied at his nape. His posture lightened, his steps eased, and his eyes glinted in mischief. It made her wonder about his life after he had left the family.

Jovine hesitantly reached out to grab his arm when a sultry woman with smudged lips and spilling cleavage slammed into his body, taking his face into her hands and sticking her tongue down his throat. Her mouth dropping open, Jovine looked away with a harsh blush.

"Not tonight, Lettie," Elias chuckled, swatting her rear with a wink. "I've got a guest with me." He looked back at Jovine with a delinquent smile.

The woman whined her regret but quickly moved onto another man by the lamppost, eager to lure him into the nearest pleasure house. Biting her inner cheeks, Jovine looked high up into the sky, unwilling to relate any vulgar thoughts to her brother.

Elias swung his arm around her neck and tugged her into his side as he continued walking. He pinched her nose playfully until they scrunched up in irritation. "Your face looks like a tomato, Vinnie."

"Shut it," she grumbled, refusing to keep contact with his amused eyes.

He sniffed into the air and started whistling a tune, throwing dirty looks every now and again at the drunkards who brushed against their bodies. To relieve the awkward air and the pit of trepidation simmering in her gut, Jovine turned her attention to the carts wheeled onto the streets.

Many sold small trinkets and vials of what smelled like alcohol and potent tonics, but an old woman behind a wooden wagon laid out gems and bottles of what she called out to be "Amulets and Love Potions!"

Jovine pulled on Elias's sleeve. "Lias," she whispered, finally looking up at him. "Tell me what you know about magic."

The twitch of his brows was the only indication of his stagger. "I know as much as you do."

To her great disappointment, that was all he said.

"It's back in the Empire," she baited, scrutinizing every inch of his face. He didn't loose a single reaction.